Whiting Community Center
|The Whiting Community Center was built in 1923
as a gift from John D. Rockefeller and Standard Oil of Indiana to the people
of Whiting. Using the model of the settlement house, it incorporated athletic
pursuits with basic education and social services in a structure that memorializes
the soldiers of the First World War. Amoco Oil, the successor to Standard,
deeded the Center to the City of Whiting in 1977.
Today, the craft, sewing, and other meeting and activity rooms have been modernized to meet the community needs of the 21st Century. Likewise, the athletic facilities are state-of-the-art and rival those of the finest health centers. The Center is also the flagship of the Whiting Parks Department and its network of 5 parks and play lots throughout the city.
Please call (219) 659-0860 for the most current information on Center
|Home | Programs and Services | Board and Staff | WhitingCommunity.Com|